BE SMART ABOUT “SMART HOME AUTOMATION”
Smart Home Automation – the technology that allows you to control multiple devices like your home alarm, fridge, lights, TV, sound system, thermostat and more – has made life simpler and richer.
Smart Home Automation works on a new technology called the IoT, or Internet of Things. IoT connects all of the devices in your home into one network which can be accessed over the Internet. The key benefits of Smart Home Automation include:
- Savings: Smart thermostats and smart light bulbs save energy and costs by learning your habits of when you’re at home or when you leave the house.
- Security: Smart Home Automation Systems make homes safer and more secure by remotely accessing your security cameras from almost anywhere in the world.
- Convenience: Many smart gadgets are compatible with one another, allowing you to combine multiple tasks such as setting your smart locks to turn on your smart lighting when you unlock your door.
- Control: Smart home devices allow you to better control functions within the home because you’ll be aware of what’s happening at all times.
- Comfort: Smart devices help create a comfortable atmosphere within the home by using connected devices to do many actions such as adjusting temperature and lighting or play music.
- Peace of Mind: Home automation technology offers peace of mind. There are a multitude of apps and devices that you can use remotely to check on things such as if you closed the garage door or using the smart camera to see what your dog is doing.
As with any high-tech device, buying and setting up a Smart Home Automation System requires some preparation. Here are some of the things you should keep in mind:
- Do your research. Buy only known and trusted home automation brands.
- Secure your home’s wifi connection – the router that lets in all Internet traffic into your home.
- Consider investing in a “watchdog” device like Akita, which continuously scans every device in your home network for unusual activity.
- Use different passwords for different devices and change passwords regularly.
There are as many options in the marketplace as benefits in Smart Home Automation, that give you and your family cost savings, comfort and convenience while keeping your home safe and data secure.